Sunday, July 18, 2010

Can You Paint With All The Colors Of The Wind?

This morning I woke up bound and determined to paint the front door. I seriously don't know what's gotten into me. After painting the interior of my house in Columbus from top to bottom, I swore if I ever picked up a paintbrush again it would be too soon. I'm starting to think I'm obsessed or something. I do have obsessive/compulsive tendencies, but that's a whole other story, one that I'm sure my husband and daughters would just love to rant about.

I whoa'd myself down a little and didn't get started on the door until about 1:00. Problem is, I don't think I can shut my door tonight because there's no way the paint will be cured and I'm afraid it might stick to the weatherstripping around the door if I shut it. I had already push-pinned plastic over the opening in order to keep from air conditioning the front yard, but was it sealed tight? Definitely not. Okay, so now I have tape all over the front of the house around the door. Not very attractive, but we're talking bugs here, and I already have about 8 mosquito bites from being out in the yard last night. I am NOT going through that again.

I'll bet my neighbors (if they're watching) are wondering why I'm taking pictures of my taped up, plastic covered front door. But, do I care? No, not really.

It's hard to believe you can spend a whole day painting a door. But I'm here to say "yes you can." How long does it take for paint to dry anyway? Ten bucks says it's longer than I waited. Patience may be a virtue, but instant gratification is my motto, so I let the primer dry for what I personally thought was an appropriate amount of time and on went the first coat of paint. I never said I was a professional and I'm certainly not getting paid by the hour, so -- the door is done. It looks terrific and it beats white all to heck!

Since I've already seen every episode of Designed To Sell (and every other show) on HGTV (at least twice), I ended up catching a few episodes of Hoarders while waiting for paint to dry. Talk about depressing -- yikes!

Other than that, I didn't do much today. Took the dogs out a few times and made a pasta salad. Big day in the Florida Panhandle.


1 comment:

  1. Love the green door! You need to post some pictures of the outside! I have to say, reading your posts make me smile:) It's just as though I'm standing at your desk and your telling me the story! hee. Miss ya!!! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete